Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 June 2015

Father Themed Poems

Hello readers,

I hope you are all well on this Saturday evening.   You might remember that I was looking for poetry submissions with a father theme as it is Father's Day next week, with a view of publishing today.

I was a little disappointed with the response but I do understand that poems are not everyones 'cup of tea' so to speak and that's fine.  I did however expect a couple more poems as I did only receive two, however, I turned this into a positive because it meant that I had to write two poems (I haven't written poems for around 18 months), and I also enlisted the help of my daughter to write one too and she thoroughly enjoyed this, which is great.

If you want to access the poems I have published on my website, please visit my website and type in password: RRWpublications to access the page.

So, I would like to thank everyone involved and I did promise to comment on any poems published. This was just meant as a fun exercise so I'm not going to be overly critical but I will comment. I think everyone deserves a pat on the back for being brave and submitting anyway.  

My personal favourite type of poems are Sonnets, and it's because of the complicated rhyme scheme and beat.  I like the sound of a sonnet.

I love WB Yeats as a lot of his poems are beautifully written and sound euphonic, and I also find myself fascinated with Ted Hughes and his poems from an animal perspective.  The ironic thing here is that if I had been asked four years ago what I thought of poetry, I would have told you I didn't like it, it wasn't my thing.  Now that I have studied poetry and literature, I appreciate it more and although it isn't my strong point, I do enjoy reading it and occasionally writing it.

First, I want to consider 'Dedicated to my Daddy', by Debbie and My Random Musings.  First of all, thank you for your submission.  I really liked the light-heartedness and positive tone of your poem.  The rhyme scheme made it easy to read and it was a certainly a dedication to the good relationship you have with your Dad.  I really appreciate you sharing this!

To the anonymous submission of 'Blessed'. I really like this poem because it's great to see that you appreciate your Dad, and you know you are lucky to have him, but also he is lucky to have you too.  It gives the sense of an equal relationship there.  This is a fun poem to read.  I do think you have to be a good daughter or son, to maintain a good relationship with parents so this is portrayed well here.

Then I need to turn my attention to my wonderful daughter Abbey, who is away on holiday on Father's day but has written her father a poem.  I am really impressed with your skills Abbey.  You know what you want to say and as I know your father on a personal level, it's nice to see you think so much of him and I thought the fact you mentioned laughter was great as your dad is certainly a joker and often makes us laugh.  Well done and thanks for stepping in when I needed help for my blog.

I'm not going to comment on the final two - as they are my own.  My father died nine years ago and you will know this if you read my posts earlier in the week.  I miss him so The Brightest Star and Memories of Dad are dedicated to him.  I'm far from being a perfect poet, but I managed to get down how I felt.  Memories of Dad is a senses poem and basically you do five lines of poetry on your topic, based on your senses: touch, taste, see, hear, feel.  If you aren't confident with poetry this is a good type of poetry to try, as it's quick and simple.

I hope you enjoy reading this post.  It's meant to be light hearted, with a fun dedication to Fathers and I hope you felt that when reading.

Please feel free to view and comment on this page about the poems, we would love to hear from you. Tell us what you think?  Do you like poetry?  I used to find it embarrassing - how do you feel about poetry?

Thanks for visiting my page.

Laters, Janet :)

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention and using my poem :) And thanks for being nice in your critique :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't really a critique as such, but your welcome. It reminded me of a verse in a card - maybe it's a new career on the horizon! I really appreciate your submission and don't forget that I am also looking for Crime Fiction stories now too for July. Just click the tab at the top of the page for details. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  2. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete